It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring....
Everyone hopes for glorious weather during their holiday or short break but sometimes, you just happen to hit a wet patch. The croquet match might be off but fear not, and don't be down, destination TCB - The Cottage Beyond has so much to offer everyone. We've compiled a list of our top 10 suggestions but could add plenty more.
1. Get wet indoors – with TCB’s incredible spa hall and indoor swimming pool you can while away the rainy hours splashing, lounging in the hot tub, sweating in the sauna, or seeing how many lengths you can do!
2. Puddle jumping – a favourite for our younger guests, there are plenty of good puddle spots around the farm – however, it's a good to check the depth before you jump! We even have racks of wellies for guests to borrow, so no excuse!
3. Movie afternoon - with large TV’s with surround sound in both the sitting room and snug you can even have two films on the go at TCB – or check out our lovely local cinema The Wellesley – a 1930’s art deco single screen cinema – it is charming and shows a great selection of the latest releases.
4. Burn off some energy – if you’re needing to use up some extra energy then how about a trip to Flip Out Somerset – just 15mins drive away – a state of the art trampoline adventure park with separate adult and junior zones – great fun for all ages.
5. Indoor games – the games room with its table tennis table, air hockey and giant connect four is under cover – perfect to escape to while watching the rain pour down! Board games abound in the sitting room - when did you last have a game of chess? Or try a new one - one of our favourites, Pucket is as high adrenaline as you can get with a board game!
6. Read in comfort – there are collections of books to read in bedroom 2, in the snug or the kitchen – or the lovely Somerset Life magazine in the hall. There are books for children, books to learn about our beautiful countryside or fiction books to suit most tastes!
7. Do some baking – if you’ve braved outside for puddle jumping or worked up an appetite in the pool then enjoying some homemade bread, cakes or scones for tea – with our well equipped kitchen and our lovely rangemaster oven it's time to get baking!
8. Visit a local Museum – the Somerset museum in Taunton is set within the 12thcentury Taunton Castle – with contemporary gallery spaces and lots of organised events it is a great day out for all the family – and free entry too! Alternatively pop down to Coldharbour Mill in Uffculme one of the oldest woollen mills in the UK having been in continuous production since 1797. Fascinating, educational and the opportunity to buy yarns direct.
9. Watch the birds – so many of our guests comment on the enjoyment they feel from watching the birds on the bird table from the snug – and they’ll be there come rain or shine!
10. Brave the weather – wander through the woods with the rain dripping off the trees, head to the top of the hill to see the weather coming across the valley or stroll down by the stream and squelch in the mud. We find the met office great for seeing what weather is likely to arrive here – then make sure you’re kitted up and get out and enjoy the best of British weather! Wellies and umbrellas provided!
So don't be afraid...book your TCB break whenever you'd like - it will be fine - come rain or shine! And if you're stuck for inspiration or wet weather gear then don't be afraid to ask us - we're always avaliable to help with ideas and will try and find whatever you're lacking to borrow from someone on team TCB!
And just as I finish typing....the rain has stopped...and the sun has come out!