Terms and Conditions
Terms and Conditions
The Cottage Beyond (We) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
This policy sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it. By visiting www.thecottagebeyond.co.uk you are accepting and consenting to the practices described in this policy.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), your data is being collected by [NAME OF PROPRIETOR] of [ADDRESS].
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information you give us. You may give us information about you by filling in forms on our site www.thecottagebeyond.co.uk (our site) or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register to use our site, subscribe to our service, search for a property, place an order or make a booking on our site, submit an enquiry about a property, participate in discussion boards or other social media functions on our site, enter a competition, promotion or survey, and when you report a problem with our site. The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address and phone number, financial and credit card information, personal description and photograph, dietary requirements and family make-up.
- Information we collect about you. With regard to each of your visits to our site we may automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
- information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time); products you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
- Information we receive from other sources. We may receive information about you if you use any of the other websites we operate or the other services we provide. We are also working closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies) and may receive information about you from them.
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we store on your browser or the hard drive of your computer if you agree. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer's hard drive.
We use the following cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our website, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing services.
- Analytical/performance cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
You can find more information about the individual cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them below:
To enable us to monitor the usage of our website and the success of our marketing, we use Google Analytics which uses a variety of cookies. These are used to track visitors and collect information about how visitors use our site. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the site. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the site, where visitors have come to the site from and the pages they visited.
If you would like to see a full up-to-date list of all cookies used by our website, you can use the following cookie-checking website http://sitebeam.net/cookielaw/test-your-compliance/ (other cookie-checking websites are available).
You block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our site.
Uses made of the information
The Cottage Beyond is a member of Premier Cottages Limited, a professional collective of independent luxury cottage owners. Premier Cottages promotes our properties on our behalf as well as other luxury cottages. As members of Premier Cottages we would like to give them your information so that they can contact you about other quality properties that you might like. You may unsubscribe from this service at any time.
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- Information you give to us. We will use this information:
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us;
- to provide you with information about other goods and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about;
- to provide you, or permit Premier Cottages Limited to provide you, with information about goods or services we feel may interest you:
- If you are an existing customer, we will contact you by electronic means (e-mail or SMS) with information about goods and services similar to those which were the subject of a previous sale or negotiations of a sale to you.
- If you are a new customer we and Premier Cottages Limited will contact you by electronic means if you have consented to this by clicking the relevant ‘submit’ button on the form our website where you enter your information. If you do not want us to use your data in this way, or to pass your details on to Premier Cottages for marketing purposes, please un-tick the relevant box situated on the form on which we collect your data (which include the online booking form where we have one on our site, and our contact and registration forms);
- to notify you about changes to our service;
- to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- Information we collect about you. We will use this information:
- to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
- as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you;
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site about goods or services that may interest you or them.
- Information we receive from other sources. We may combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We may use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
Disclosure of your information
We may share your personal information with any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006.
We may share your information with selected third parties including:
- Business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with them or you.
- Advertisers and advertising networks that require the data to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others. We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to our advertisers, but we may provide them with aggregate information about our users (for example, we may inform them that 500 men aged under 30 have clicked on their advertisement on any given day). We may also use such aggregate information to help advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target (for example, women in SW1). We may make use of the personal data we have collected from you to enable us to comply with our advertisers' wishes by displaying their advertisement to that target audience.
- Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our site.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If The Cottage Beyond or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of The Cottage Beyond, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Where we store your personal data
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Access to information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
Last updated: Thursday, June 21, 2018 9:30 AM
Some key terms are defined as follows, and throughout this document:
- The Cottage Beyond ("The Cottage Beyond", "www.thecottagebeyond.co.uk", "we", "us", or "our") is the company that collects and processes Personal Data for the purposes described in this Policy.
- SCRUMPY Ltd ("SCRUMPY") is the company that we use for hosting our website, booking system & CRM (+ other functionality).
- Our Services are detailed in the 'About The Cottage Beyond' section.
- Personal Data is any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person ("Data Subject")
The way in which we store data, process data and run our business is done in a GDPR compliant manner. Upon request we can provide details of data flow, a data inventory, a data breach policy, an employee dismissal log, details on the employee security training we have in place and more. Please follow the instructions in the contact section below to request any information not present in this policy.
In short, we only gather Personal Data we need, we only keep it for as long as is needed, we only use it for what we state below, you can request to correct/edit/remove it, we store it securely, we do not pass it to third parties unless otherwise stated and we aim to be transparent with how we use Personal Data.
About The Cottage Beyond
The Cottage Beyond is a vacation rental business. We advertise vacation rental properties, take enquiries about these properties, take bookings at properties, take payments towards bookings and provide other booking related services.
The Cottage Beyond uses SCRUMPY, an online website management & booking system to produce our website, keep track of bookings, enquiries, payments and more.
The Cottage Beyond is committed to the protection of Personal Data, including data that we use for our own purposes, and that we maintain on behalf of any property owners we may work with.
Collection and Use of Personal Data
The Cottage Beyond collects information, including Personal Data, for the following purposes:
- Improving our website's content and user experience
- Internal business purposes
- Facilitating and storing the details of online & offline bookings/payments
Your consent to this policy (where requested) is tracked.
This Policy is not intended to place any limits on what we do with data that is aggregated and/or de-identified so it is no longer associated with an identifiable individual (Data Subject).
The services of The Cottage Beyond are not directed to children under 16. If you learn that a child under 16 has provided us with Personal Data without consent, please contact us.
The use of our website by an individual classes them as a 'legitimate interest', visiting the site is enough to identify this, data associated with an individual's visit needs to be processed for efficient site operation. Any data collected will be used in a conservative way to help maintain the individual's rights & freedoms.
Improving our website's content and user experience
In the course of providing the website hosting services, SCRUMPY may receive, access, analyse, process and maintain Personal Data on behalf of us.
We determine the types of Personal Data that will be collected and used within SCRUMPY, how it will be used and disclosed, and how long it will be stored. For any questions relating to how your Personal Data is used by SCRUMPY which are not covered in this policy, please contact SCRUMPY directly via email: email@example.com.
SCRUMPY's Usage Information is collected, including information about how you are accessing and using our site. SCRUMPY directly uses information to understand and improve their services and exposes it to us so that we able to do the same for our business. Usage information may also be used to investigate and prevent security issues, abuse and fraud.
Internal Business Purposes
We may collect personal data from you through our Website (www.thecottagebeyond.co.uk), social media, over the phone, and other channels for the following purposes:
Responding to your enquiries: When you contact us with a comment, question or complaint, you may be asked for information that identifies you, such as your name, address and a telephone number, along with additional information we need to help us promptly answer your question or respond to your comment. We may retain this information to assist you in the future and to improve our customer service and offerings.
Informing you about offerings: We may use your contact information for our own marketing or advertising purposes. We do not sell or rent your Personal Data to third parties. You can opt out of these at any time by following the steps outlined below.
To Understand and Improve our Services and Website Service Usage Information is collected, including information about how you are accessing and using the Service. We use this information to understand and improve our Services, and to investigate and prevent security issues, abuse, fraud.
Facilitating and storing the details of online & offline bookings/payments
We collect Personal Data via our online booking form, over the telephone or via other channels to be able to store a record of who has (attempted to, confirmed, cancelled, etc) booked a property we may be or have been advertising.
Third Party Links
Third Party Tools/Services
We use a number of third party tools & services (sub-processors) that Personal Data may be sent to, including:
- Google Analytics: To help us gain an insight into the performance and usage of our website.
- FullStory: To help improve the user experience of our website by recording a sample of user sessions.
- Premier Cottages: We are a member of Premier Cottages, a professional collective of independent luxury cottage owners. Premier Cottages promotes properties on our behalf as well as other luxury cottages. As members of Premier Cottages we give them your information so that they can contact you about other quality properties that you might like. You may unsubscribe from this service at any time.
We have different timeframes on various elements of Personal Data that we hold dependent on its purpose. Once we no longer need to retain your Personal Data, we will make sure that it is deleted or anonymised.
We retain Personal Data provided for bookings indefinitely as these records form important financial evidence for tax purposes. We can at request de-personalise booking data, we may not be able to do this if we still need said Personal Data for tax or other legal purposes.
Disclosure of your Personal Data
As a matter of practice, The Cottage Beyond does not disclose, trade, rent, sell or otherwise transfer Personal Data, except as set out in this policy.
We may transfer or disclose Personal Data as follows:
Service Provider Arrangements
We may transfer (or otherwise make available) Personal Data to third parties who process it on our behalf for the purposes noted above. These third parties may access, process or store personal data in the course of providing these services, but based on our instructions only.
As of the date hereof, these third party providers include technical operations such as database monitoring, data storage, hosting services and customer support software tools.
Changes to our Business Structure
The Cottage Beyond may share or disclose data if we engage in a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy, dissolution, reorganisation, sale of some or all of The Cottage Beyond's assets, financing, acquisition of all or a portion of our business, a similar transaction or proceeding, or steps in contemplation of such activities (e.g. due diligence).
Compliance with Laws
The Cottage Beyond and the providers we use may share or disclose Personal Data to comply with legal or regulatory requirements and to respond to lawful requests, court orders and legal process.
Enforcing Our Rights, Preventing Fraud, and Safety
The Cottage Beyond may share or disclose data to protect and defend the rights, property, or safety of us or third parties, including enforcing contracts or policies, or in connection with investigation and preventing fraud.
In short, the personal data you provide to us can be provided upon access, we protect it to the best of our ability, we can amend it for you upon request and remove it from our systems upon request.
If you have any complaints, concerns or queries about how we manage Personal Data, please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are in the European Union you have the right to complain to your local Data Protection Authority about the collection and use of your Personal Data.
Access and Correction of Personal Data
If we receive a request from an individual to access or update Personal Data we have collected we will endevour to respond to said request.
If you submit Personal Data via our Website or otherwise provide us with your Personal Data, you may request access, updating or correction and removal of your Personal Data by submitting a request to us via our contact form. We may request certain Personal Data for the purposes of verifying your identity.
How We Protect Personal Data
The Cottage Beyond takes security seriously. We take various steps to protect information you provide to us from loss, misuse, and unauthorised access or disclosure. These steps take into account the sensitivity of the information we collect, process and store, and the current state of technology.
To learn more about current practices and policies regarding security and confidentiality of Personal Data and other information, please see the Security Practices section; we keep that section updated as these practices evolve over time.
As a business both we and the third parties we trust, follow good security practices to help keep Personal Data secure.
The Cottage Beyond uses SCRUMPY, SCRUMPY is hosted on Amazon Web Services. As such, The Cottage Beyond inherits the control environment which Amazon maintains. In short web servers and databases run on servers in secure data centers.
SCRUMPY encrypts all customer data input via the website & booking management system both in transit and at rest. Communications between you and SCRUMPY (our website) are encrypted via HTTPS and Transport Layer Security (TLS) industry best-practices.
Access to Personal Data is limited via a user management system controlled within SCRUMPY. We ensure that anyone with access to Personal Data at The Cottage Beyond has an awareness of GDPR & good security practices.
In the event of a Personal Data breach we will endevour to notify the relevant legal authorities and inform the effected individuals within 72 hours of identifying said breach. If you believe you have discovered a personal data breach please contact us using the details below immediately.
Please contact us if:
- you wish to access, remove, update, and/or correct inaccuracies in your Personal Data; or
- you otherwise have a question or complaint about the manner in which we or our service providers treat your Personal Data.
The Cottage Beyond, Kittisford Barton, Wellington, Somerset, TA21 0RZ United Kingdom
Booking Protect are our Refund Protection partner. They are a seperate company to The Cottage Beyond and they will only be able to assist customers who have purchased refund protection. 'Booking Protect' is an optional refund protection product, you should carefully consult their Terms and Conditions before purchasing. They will not be able to answer any questions you may have about a booking with us.
If you have taken out Refund Protection on a booking with us you'll be able to find the Terms and Conditions and details on how to claim in your booking confirmation email. Alternatively you can click the button below to make a claim. Claims must be dealt with by Booking Protect directly.Make a Claim
The Cottage Beyond
Registered Office: The Cottage Beyond, Kittisford Barton, Wellington, Somerset, TA21 0RZ United Kingdom
VAT Number: 162693687