Great ideas for day trips out from The Cottage Beyond. There is so much to do in the local area - something for everyone!
1. Diggerland - 25mins south of TCB is the amazing Diggerland Devon - ‘buckets of fun for everyone’. Open 10-5 every day throughout the school holidays there are lots of rides to enjoy, diggers, dumper trucks and other vehicles to drive and a soft play area if you want some indoor fun too. Not just for kids, you can pre-book adult experience days to sharpen your skills – you can even test drive a 22 ton monster digger!
2. Haldon Forest - A real day out for the whole family Haldon Forest has so much to offer – walking and mountain biking trails, bike hire, children’s Zog trail, a Segway centre and a fantastic Go Ape experience. There is The Ridge café too, serving a range of meals, snacks and drinks for your post adventure re-fuel.
3. Crealy Theme Park - Crealy is an award winning family Theme Park just 40 mins south of TCB. It boasts over 60 rides and attractions, with spectacular live entertainment shows and animals galore and it is regularly voted the best day out in Devon.
4. Exmoor National Park is glorious and covers a vaste area – so you can create your own perfect day out. From Tarr Steps near Dulverton, to the famous Lynton and Lynmouth funicular Cliff Railway, the highest and the steepest totally water powered railway in the world, fantastic views, Exmoor ponies and red deer to spot. You could try your hand at geocaching, take a walk up to Dunkery Beacon, the highest point in Somerset or enjoy a delicious meal at Woods in the beautiful market town of Dulverton before picking up some local produce to enjoy back at The Cottage Beyond.
5. Tropiquaria - a unique small zoo, with tropical hall, nocturnal house and an aquarium housing fish and amphibians from around the world. There are childrens play areas, both indoors and out, and Blackbeards Café serving hot and cold food and snacks throughout the day.
6. If you enjoy visiting National Trust properties then there are a few to explore locally. Knightshayes, Killerton and Dunster all make great family friendly days out. My personal favourite is Knightshayes, with a gorgeous house, beautiful gardens for picnics and a large parkland to wander around.
7. WSR – if you regularly read our blog or follow our Facebook page then you will know we are big fans of the West Somerset Railway. Talk to us if you’d like help planning your trip – as depending on your likes/dislikes/aims for the day or weather we can suggest itinery’s and options for your group! Sometimes we will just do a small section of the line from Watchet to Blue Anchor, before heading to the Driftwood Café and enjoying time on the Beach, but we other times it is nice to enjoy the whole line from Bishops Lydeard to Minehead, a traditional seaside town with a sandy beach and shops to explore.
For even more suggestions and inspiration check out our "Things to do" page on our website.